The John D. O'Bryant School of Mathematics and Science has an illustrious history dating back over 100 years to the 19th century. The school was founded as Mechanic Arts High School in 1893. It became Boston Technical High School in 1944 and was located on Townsend Street in Roxbury for several decades until its relocation at its present site on what was then called New Dudley Street in 1987. In 1989, Boston Technical High School and Mario Umana Technical High School merged.
The School was renamed after Boston native and education leader John D. O'Bryant in 1992. Mr. O'Bryant was born in Boston in 1931. He was educated in the Boston public schools and earned his bachelor's and master's degrees from Boston University. After serving in the US Army he served as a teacher and guidance counselor in the Boston public schools from 1955-1969. Mr. O'Bryant was the first African-American elected to the Boston School Committee. He served as its president and as a national chairman of the Council of Urban Boards of Education. In 1979 he was appointed Northeastern University's Vice President of Student Affairs. Mr. O'Bryant was a tireless advocate for the children of Boston. He always took time to meet with young people and encourage them to set high goals and pursue a college education.
This year the school celebrates its 20th anniversary as the John D. O'Bryant School of Mathematics and Science. Over recent years, the school has refined its mission as a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) school dedicated to preparing all students for college, advanced learning and high skilled careers.
Mechanic Arts High School
Over the years our school seal has been altered three times. This seal represented our school from the year 1893-1944. The school was initially named Mechanic Arts High School.
Boston Technical High School
For 68 years (1944-1992) we were named the Boston Technical High School. For most of those years, we were an all-male school.
John D. O'Bryant School of Mathematics and Science
The John D. O'Bryant School of Mathematics and Science has been in existence since 1992. This is our new seal, created in 2002, which incorporates both our past and present.